forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: [NOTE] Skin status update
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:17:14 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> There is one thing that people tried to address the last time
> that we talked about improving the skins. The navigation panel
> needs to go at the bottom in text browsers. I tried searching
> the archives and could not find what i was looking for.

I agree.  With this kind of layout, however, I think it is impossible.
The problem is that in order to have a fixed-width (even if it is in
ems) left bar, you must either use absolute positioning, or float it.
To float it, it must come before the content.  If you use absolute
positioning, it will overlap the footer if the body content isn't long
enough to push the footer below the navigation.

What we can do easily is add a "Skip navigation" link (which is also
requested in Jira), which does not show in visual browsers (display:
none;).  It is not the best option, but certainly better than nothing.

One other possibility is to make the nav column fluid, but then you risk
squeezing it on small resolutions, and there are problems getting a
background color to display.  Given the number of people who use small
resolutions (<= 800x600) vs. people using Lynx, I would vote for keeping
the fixed width.

--
Marshall Roch