forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: [NOTE] Skin status update
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:48:01 GMT
Justus H. Piater wrote:
> - It does not validate (at W3C), but the problem is trivial :-)
>   Looking at the name, it's ultimately going to be XHTML, right?

Forrest itself has to be modified to generate XHTML (just add another
serializer).  I haven't confirmed that everything is ok, but AFAIK,
everything should be fine.  If not, they are very easy fixes.

> - On my system (Mandrake 9.2, Firebird 0.7) the body font looks quite
>   ugly. Is it really necessary to specify a font family? Font
>   rendering is quite inconsistent across systems.

CSS allows for multiple font options, selecting the first one in the
list that is available.  The default body font is Georgia, which is
pretty universal, although I had to install the truetype fonts on my
Gentoo Linux system. If Georgia is not available, it falls down to
Palatino, Times, and then finally the default serif font.

There was talk about a user.css so that users could override default
styles without copying the whole skin.  If we don't set a font in the
skin and a default was in user.css, then the user could easily change
this if necessary.

Another possibility is the fact that fonts on Linux in general are
notoriously bad.  You might like the Font Deuglification Howto[1].

> - While I'm sympathetic with the menu layout, it does not lend itself
>   well to nested hierarchies. This is evident in the How-To tab.

Oops, I forgot to mention that problem in my previous email.  I'm aware
of this and thinking about how to fix it. :)

> - In the top part, could one separate the rounded-corner images from
>   the horizontal and vertical lines? This would remove the size limits
>   imposed by the current images (see the search box if you grow the
>   font size).

I don't believe so.  See the Sliding Doors[2] article on A List Apart.
I don't think this is too big of a deal, since the images will be
cached.  I will make them longer to support more drastic font resizing.

> - The menu bar has absolute width. It should be relative to font size.

To get the background to go all the way down the side, you have to use a
background image (which, obviously, is fixed-width).  I agree, though,
that it should be fluid, I just don't know if it's possible.

--
Marshall Roch

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/FDU/index.html
[2] http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/