forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] xhtml-css skin
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:04:32 GMT

On 17 Jan 2004, at 08:50, David Crossley wrote:

> Marshall Roch wrote:
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
> <snip/>
>>>
>>> - Default font looks horid on my machine (netscape on gnome) -
>>> personally I much prefer the current default
>>
>> Someone else reported the same problem with Mandrake.  I think it's
>> going to be an issue with all Linux users (unless you specifically
>> "deuglify" your fonts (see tldp.org).  I've taken your suggestion and
>> gone back to a sans-serif.
>
> Whatever font you are using now looks fine for me in Mozilla
> and Galeon on Linux.
>
>>> - too much white space between text items (of all types)
>>
>> Not absolutely sure what you mean here, but I've decreased the
>> line-height, which should make the lines of body text closer together.
>
> I see the same issue. Comparing it with current Forrest website the
> left-hand panel is now narrower. Great, that gives more screen space
> for the main content. So one would expect to fit more on the screen
> and not need to vertical scroll as much.  However, less content now
> fits on the screen.
>

> There is another obscure issue. When the front page is first
> displayed (Mozilla and Galeon on Linux) then the search box
> is positioned too far towards the top of the page, sitting
> across the border of the light-blue and the medium-blue.
> After "Reload" it is then positioned correctly.
>
> Great work Marshall. This will make a lot of people happy.

Yep, great job. No issues on both Safari and Firebird on macosx.

Just one thing: the search tab was attached to the top bar to indicate
that the search was global to the site. Attaching it to the bottom
might yield the impression that the search is done only on the tab that
is currently selected.

I'm obviously biased since I did the original design of this skin, but
I think the search should be connected to the top bar.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Stefano.