forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Florian Haas" <f.g.h...@gmx.net>
Subject SAXException: Attempt to output character that is not represented in specified output encoding
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:40:24 GMT
Hello,

I've recently run into a Forrest issue (CVS HEAD from this morning) which
puzzles me. Suddenly, wenn I access my index.html or any other document served
by "forrest run", I get the following exception:

17:28:04.842 EVENT  ERROR   (2004-01-22) 17:28.04:838   [access  ]
(/index.html) PoolThread-4/CocoonServlet: Internal Cocoon Problem
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.:
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.:
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.xml.sax.SAXException:
Attempt to output character of integral value 196 that is not represented in
specified output encoding of .
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.processXMLPipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:564)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.processXMLPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:196)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:501)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(SerializeNode.java:147)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:108)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ContainerNode.invoke(ContainerNode.java:66)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.CallNode.invoke(CallNode.java:128)

The documentation is in German and Unicode 196 is Ä (capital A umlaut), so
suspecting an encoding issue is, I suppose, not too far-fetched. :-) However,
all my documents are ISO 8859-1 and use either ISO entities or Unicode
escapes for any non-ASCII characters. Trying to track down the problem further is
currently getting me nowhere -- setting  project.debuglevel to DEBUG in
forrest.properties generates no additional information in core.log, sitemap.log or
error.log except for a more detailed stack trace of the above exception.

What puzzles me most is the "specified output encoding of ." in the
exception message -- shouldn't the message contain the name of the encoding actually
being used, even if it's the default?

The problem does not apply when I access one of my documents as PDF.
Accessing site.pdf (whole site as PDF), however, does cause the problem to occur. So
I do suspect that one of my documents contains something nasty -- any
suggestions on how to find out which one, given the fact that setting the
project.debuglevel to DEBUG won't do it?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Florian

Bis 31.1.: TopMail + Digicam für nur 29 EUR http://www.gmx.net/topmail