forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [RFC] xhtml-css skin
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:50:29 GMT
Marshall Roch wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
<snip/>

> > - Default font looks horid on my machine (netscape on gnome) -
> > personally I much prefer the current default
>
> Someone else reported the same problem with Mandrake.  I think it's
> going to be an issue with all Linux users (unless you specifically
> "deuglify" your fonts (see tldp.org).  I've taken your suggestion and
> gone back to a sans-serif.

Whatever font you are using now looks fine for me in Mozilla
and Galeon on Linux.

> > - too much white space between text items (of all types)
>
> Not absolutely sure what you mean here, but I've decreased the
> line-height, which should make the lines of body text closer together.

I see the same issue. Comparing it with current Forrest website the
left-hand panel is now narrower. Great, that gives more screen space
for the main content. So one would expect to fit more on the screen
and not need to vertical scroll as much.  However, less content now
fits on the screen.

There is another obscure issue. When the front page is first
displayed (Mozilla and Galeon on Linux) then the search box
is positioned too far towards the top of the page, sitting
across the border of the light-blue and the medium-blue.
After "Reload" it is then positioned correctly.

Great work Marshall. This will make a lot of people happy.

--David