forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:19:13 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > It is worth the effort. We get way too many questions from users.
>
> So it should be an FAQ.

It should be a document and FAQ, no matter what we do. I will take
that job on.

> > > If this is the case, putting up documentation about how to configure the
> > > most common editors to work with Forrest would be all that's needed to
> > > make me happy.  The only reason it's a problem for me is because I don't
> > > know how to set up the catalog resolver in Eclipse.
> >
> > Yes, i thought about that. However it is not really Forrest's job.
> > We could document it at Apache XML Commons. Anyway, i agree we need
> > something. I will set up a doc somewhere and ask people for their
> > config tips.
>
> If this document is written (no matter where it's hosted) and we reference
> it in our FAQ, I think the large majority of users will be satisfied and
> we won't have to put the DTDs online.

This is the approach that i have been trying to take since the
year dot. In recent months, comments on cocoon-users, cocoon-dev,
and now here, lead me to start this proposal. If discussion and
testing goes against it, then i am happy not to put them on-line.

Maybe the missing piece has been explicit notes about how to
configure it with the various tools. However, what about the
web browsers? It seems that people want to use their browser
to read every file that they come across. For them it is broken
and that is a bad look for Forrest.

--David