forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:00:47 GMT
ycdtosa wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > > One of main reasons that we are getting questions, is that people
> > > try to view an XML doc with their web browser. Lo and behold
> > > it breaks. Then they blame us.
> > >
> > > I actually wonder if putting the DTDs online will even solve that.
> > > Are the browsers able to follow relative links from one part of
> > > the DTD to the next? For example:
> > >
> > > faq-v12.dtd
> > > ...> document-v12.mod
> > > ...> faq-v12.mod
> > > ...> common-charents-v10.mod
> > > ........> ISO*.pen (5 separate files)
> >
> > I tried a test by putting some of the DTDs at
> > http://www.apache.org/~crossley/dtd-test/
> >
> > Please try the test doc in that directory "faq.xml"
> > using your favourite XML editor and your browser.
> >
> > For me, Mozilla did not get past the &mdash; entity
> > which is present in the ISOpub.pen entity set.
>
> neither of these:
>     FireBird (another Mozilla/Geko based)
>     k-maleon (Geko based)
>     MS ie6.01 SP1
>
> Same error.

Thanks. Would someone please try this from one of
those XML editors.

I just now tried shifting some things around, linking the
ISOpub.pen directly from the top-level DTD. All to no avail.

It might be the "media type" issue discussed with Steven
earlier in this thread. So i extracted the mdash entity and
put it directly into the top-level DTD. Still no go. So i
set things back the way they were.

The only thing that fixed it was putting the mdash entity
declaration directly into the faq.xml internal subset.

--David