forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:48:24 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > 6) What will be the URLs for the DTDs?
> > http://xml.apache.org/forrest/dtd/...
> > We presume that Forrest will not be a top-level project soon.
>
> The forrest docs and forrest seed site docs (and likely many other
> projects' docs) have doctype lines as follows:
>
> <!DOCTYPE document PUBLIC "-//APACHE//DTD Documentation V1.2//EN"
> "http://apache.org/forrest/dtd/document-v12.dtd">
>
> The url is apache.org, not xml.apache.org

The Forrest project only has control of the xml.apache.org/forrest/
space. So it must be there. All material must be in a project's
website CVS and we do not have access to the top-level "site" CVS.

> If we do post the dtds, everyone will have to change these lines anyway to
> get it to work.  We probably should change the url in our documents, but
> that's not going to help anyone now.

Drat. I was concerned about that too, but thought that it was only
in the un-released 0.6-dev version. However it is in the released
0.5 version too.

I gather that the reason for recently adding those System Identifiers
as URIs was because there was one major tool that could *only* use
System Identifiers to do the Catalog mapping. These were deliberately
URIs that would not resolve to any actual resource (like a namespace).
Now that change has come back to bite us.

Are there suggestions from anyone? The only thing that i can suggest
is that we ask infrastructure@ to give Forrest committers access to
the top-level site CVS and put the DTDs there. The alternative is
that we remain with no online DTDs and rely on documentation.

--David