forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Expanding and collapsing submenus
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:51:57 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> Justus H. Piater wrote:
> > This is like Forrest's default configuration, except that the latter
> > always displays all subhierarchies. Naturally, to enter into a
> > subhierarchy, the top-level heading should be a live link (that links
> > to the same page as the first link of the subhierarchy).
> >
> > Shouldn't this be fairly easy to implement?
> >
> > Recently, someone mentioned expandable hierarchies using JavaScript -
> > nice and useful, but there are also good reasons to avoid JavaScript.
>
> My current requirement ("given" to me by the higher ups) is that our
> web site needs to work with the lowest common denominator. In fact,
> said owner has Javascript turned "off" on his system (due to his
> perceptions about security/virus), and he lets me know if things don't
> work correctly on his browser. I would prefer hierarchies expand using
> javascript. However, I can only use such hierarchical structures *only*
> if the content is still accessible without Javascript. Certain "simple"
> functionality (randomness, etc.) has been implemented on the
> server-side (in favor of client-side activity) because I have no
> guarantee Javascript is running on the client.
>
> This is just one case, so obviously Forrest won't be written
> specifically *for* my case.

It is not just one case. All Australian government websites must
be usable without *any* Javascript. You can only employ it if you
also provide an alternative method.

IMO, Forrest should provide such a skin. Perhaps after the main
skin is done.

> However, I am hoping Forrest will have a
> default skins that degrades "nicely" on systems like Lynx, Accessible
> browsers, etc. By "nicely" I mean, will not generate an error, and
> ensures primary content is viewable. Not having tried to view
> <http://xml.apache.org/forrest/> on Lynx or an "accessible browser"
> yet, I can't say for certain whether or not it works well. I intend to
> take a look on a Lynx browser shortly.

Please help to make it address Web Accessibility.

--David