forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: Adding additional headers (to the <HTML <HEAD entry).
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:59:33 GMT
> Let's see if I understand...
>
>   xdocs/index.html
>         index.rss|index.atom
>
> You want that index.html contains a link in the header to the feed files.
>
> Is this correct?

Correct.

> Some thoughts:
>
> In forrest there should be only one file with a given name in a given
> dir, as there should be only one source.

FWIIW: The two I create are not xdocs, so:

        src/doc/content/xdocs/index.html
        src/doc/content/xdocs/index.rss|index.atom

>   xdocs/index.html
>         index-feed.rss|index-feed.atom

If the above doesn't change your opinion I'm fine w/ changing my names. Heck
rss.rss and atom.atom suit me fine. With auto-discovery a user ought never
type them in...

> Secondly, what's the relationship between index.html and the feeds? Can
> one be generated from the other? If so, we can have the same source for
> both. If not, the first comment applies.

Let's get concrete:

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.html
http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss
http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.atom

They are all the same index (sorta) first one human readable, second two
computer readable.

BTW: Here is an example of such links. Feed aware browser know to find a
feed for the page from these.

<head>

<title>Adam Jack (Internal)</title>

<link rel="stylesheet"
href="http://blog.try.sybase.com/weblogs/ajack/styles-site.css"
type="text/css" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS"
href="http://blog.try.sybase.com/weblogs/ajack/index.rdf" />
<link rel="EditURI" type="application/rsd+xml" title="RSD"
href="http://blog.try.sybase.com/weblogs/ajack/rsd.xml" />

regards,

Adam