forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Contribution] Openoffice support
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:38:09 GMT

From: David Crossley

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> > As I think OpenOffice would be a good way editing (and
> reusing) files
> > for documentations I started with the implementation of a pseudo
> > protocol reading the content for ZIP files which is
> necessary to get
> > the content of OpenOffice files:
> >
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoo>
> n-2.1/src/blocks/scratchpad/jav
> > a/
> >
> org/apache/cocoon/components/source/impl/ZipSourceFactory.java
> ?view=mark
> > up
> >
> > - I checked out the latest Forrest version and added support for sxw
> > files:
>
> You beauty!
>
> <snip/>
>
> > I'd like to contribute these additions to your project. The easiest
> > way would be committing the new files and the changes into your CVS
> > myself. As I'm not Forrest committer I don't go for it without your
> > acknowledgement. Please let me know if this is okay for you. If you
> > think that an official patch would be the way to go I can
> provide it
> > of course (although this means more work on both sides ;-)
> >
> > Please let me know what you think!
>
> You *are* a Forrest committer.

Fine!

> All Cocoon committers are also
> Forrest committers. Sure, it is good to discuss major
> additions on forrest-dev beforehand.
>
> There may be one issue. We started to add a docbook2xdoc
> stylesheet a while ago. However it was only partial support,
> which handled some elements and ignored others. The
> stylesheet was not being further enhanced by the Forrest
> community so we are discouraging its use and instead
> directing people via the
> documentation to configure their sitemap to enable full
> DocBook rendering.
>
> This OpenOffice SXW sounds like a different situation. So it
> should be okay,

I use the SXW format to create document-v12 documents (or in the future
XHTML2 docs) and a full support for all document-v12 elements is only a
question of time (I'll use it to document my own projects in the future
and will complete the XSLT whenever a need arises.).

> but if it does not gain a following then it
> may need to be removed later.

Of course that's the nature of open source. (I hope that if this really
happens the customization ideas for Forrest will also be available as
code ;-)
As mentioned above I'll certainly use and improve it because I don't
like all those XML editors very much. I think some more people think so
too and will attract some of them to become users.

> So i am +0 (because i cannot help) for it to be added to CVS.

If nobody objects I'll add it to CVS next week myself.

Reinhard