forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: forrest-css
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:45:19 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
>>nicolaken    2003/12/28 14:54:16
>>
>>  Modified:    src/core/context/skins/common/xslt/html document2html.xsl
>><snip other modified files/>
>>  Log:
>>  Double new features (as they have changes some of the same files)
>>  - add subtab handling and enable it for krysalis-site and tigris-style
>>  - show external links with an icon at the end
>>
>>  Note: not added for other skins as forrest-site will use krysalis-site
>>  soon and tigris-style deprecates avalon-tigris. As for teh forrest-css one,
>>  never looked at it, sorry
>
> I have only had time for a glance at the forrest-css. Pity.
> This skin was supposed to inspire our general development:

I have changed krysalis-site with the same ideas in mind:

> * HTML style stuff in the css, not in the output html.

Moved all style in css and all style images are in CSS too; the colors
are neatly separated and the CSS and html is documented.

> * Minimise use of tables.

Less tables, but this can still be improved.

> * Standards compliance.

Should be html and CSS compliant.

> * Demonstrate best practice.

Not sure here ;-)

> * Better rendering in text-mode browsers.

Definately better, as our text-browser advocate has chacked it and it's
better.

> The main discussion thread started at cocoon-docs (thanks Tony):
> [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-docs&m=103471154901016
> then branched to cocoon-dev and forrest-dev. Many topics
> were covered. Then Miles Elam made the skin/forrest-css
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=103583691609120
> and thankfully someone heeded NKB's email sig and added to Forrest.
>
> We should not let those ideas wither. So if someone has
> the energy, then please keep forrest-css going.

I suggest instead that these changes are ported, where still applicable,
to krysalis-site, so that we can finally put it to rest and have only
two skins: forrest-site (from krysalis-site and forrest-css) and
tigris-style (that deprecates avalon-tigris).

             - verba volant, scripta manent -