forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Subtabs in CVS - comments and suggestions
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:27:27 GMT
Johan Kok wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Johan Kok wrote:
>>> Why would you like to consciously limit the use of tab to three level
>>> and introduce a hard subtab, and not just go for the block nesting
>>> levels?
>>
>> Mainly because of rendering issues. Currently the skin only supports
>> two levels, and I'm not sure how to allow more than one sublevel in an
>> extensible manner. I'm afraid that if we enable it, most skins will be
>> unable to render them, and furthermore... is it needed?
>
> Possibly, I was thinking of "abusing" it as a sort of hierachical
> sitemap, in which one can use it say (and display) three or four layers
> down.

That's the role of the site.xml menu. A skin can render it as tabs, no
need to show it on the left. A skin can even decide to render the first
two levels as tabs and the rest as menu, or whatever.

Tabs are just links that not necessarily follow a hierarchical view, and
that are alternative to the navigation menu. For a hierarchical view
there is site.xml or book.xml.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -