forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Autogenerated CVS changelog
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:43:25 GMT
Marshall Roch wrote:
> Digging through the Ant docs, I found the cvschangelog task[1].  It
> generates an XML file, so we could get Forrestbot to run this task if
> it's using the CVS getsrc task, and then Forrest could transform it like
> any other source file.

There is a project over at Jakarta, called Alexandria, that is for
generating informations about projects from source code.

The project is not very lively to say the least, but now Dims and I are
working to set it up to run with Gump.

The result of a run is something like this:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/alexandria-docs/xml-cocoon/

I would love to see it added to that project.

> The problem is that the changelog is already in status.xml.

It's different. The CVS changelog is too verbose and fine-grained. Not
all commits are recorded in status.xml.

> IMO, it
> would be cool to split them apart (and slightly change the syntax) and
> allow those projects using Forrestbot to autogenerate the changelog,
> while still allowing others to do it manually.
>
> Comments? Problems with this?

If you want Forrest to be able to simply render the output of the
changelog task, I'm fine with it; the problem is that it does not insert
a DTD, so that has to be done prior to Forrest processing (please no
more special names for understanding the DTD).

But for running Ant, it's not Forrest's business, so it has to be done
prior to calling Forrest.

> --
> Marshall Roch
>
> [1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/changelog.html