forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest customization
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:46:02 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I wasn't thinking of a single CSS for all skins (this would have the
> same problems as colour definitions in a single skinconf.xml for all
> skins). I was thinking more of a "colour.css" (oh it would be nice if it
> had English, UK, spelling, but I doubt that ;-)) in the skin directory.
>  This could be accompnaied by a layout.css. Each can optionally have a
> _local (i.e. colour_local.css) file for local modifications.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not easy to do this.

Look inside krysalis-site and tigris-style. Then try making a colors.css
file that goes well for both *without* changing the standard tigris CSS
files. You can *only* if you make these colors.css files have different
names for the colors, and you cannot port the colors between the skins.

>> So the skinconf colors are a *basic* set of colors, a profile that
>> skins can use (or can even disregad). If more infos are needed, then
>> it's necessary to have a CSS to be extended, but it will be skin
>> specific.
>
> My main concern is that we may be making it too hard for page designers
> to style pages without the aid of a developer. It's OK if they only want
> to change a basic colour, but if they want to create a whole new view on
> the docs they need to know XSL as well as CSS.

Not really, I use XSLT only as a templating thing.

Look, let me do it, and then we'll see if it's ok or if it's inappropriate.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -