forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest customization
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:55:44 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> a) A problem we have now is how to specify where the content is. We
>> cannot easily tell Forrest to download feeds from the web or even get
>> files from two directories. The locationmap will make it easy to tell
>> Forrest where the sources are.
>> - status: the locationmap code is done and inclusion is tabled in
>>           version 0.7
>
> This is cool. I am doing this at the moment with XInclude (another
> reason for having validation turned off). If Locationmap means I can
> remove my XIncludes I will be very pleased.
>
> I'll try and find time to move one of my smaller courses over to this as
> a test.

Since this has a big impact, I would like to table it for the next
version. In any case, if you get ahead of it, it would be awesome :-)

>> c) To accomodate extra DTDS, we now have to edit the sitemaps. Not
>> good as far as compatibility with future Forrest releases goes. If we
>> make it possible to download DTD packages with corresponding xslts, we
>> can make Forrest use them just by using simple naming convensions (ie
>> the xslt filename is somewhere in the private id of the DTD)
>>
>> - status: TBD, assigned to nicolaken
>
> This is something I really want to see working. I would like to make my
> skin available using the autodownload, but it has many xmap
> customisations and extra DTD's so the current skin packaging is not
> sufficient. However, I do believe the skin will provide a good example
> of the extensability of the basic Forrest framework. I volunteer to help
> with this.

What worries me are the xmap customizations, that I have not yet seen
how to do. If you could focus on that part it would be excellent. In
particular, look in Cocoon, they have recently added the possibility of
adding sitemaps without having to edit the main sitemap.

>> 2 - Style configuration
>> ===========================
>>
>> a) color schemes in skinconf.xml
>>
>> This is what I'm going to do now: make it possible to decide what
>> colors to use in the skin directly in skinconf.xml
>>
>> This makes it possible to then use these in the skin without editing
>> CSS, that can easily be skin specific. In this way we can change skin
>> but keep color profile.
>
> Each skin is likely to have a different set of colour areas. For
> example, none of the existing skins have a colour for slides, but mine
> does. does this mean that each custom skin will also need a custom
> skinconf.xml?

No, it simply means that a skin gets a basic set of colors that it can
use. If it needs more, then CSS edit is needed.

> Would it not be better to have a separate CSS that just deals with
> colours? We can then simply edit them in place.

The fact is that it's not so easy to make a single CSS that can make
colors be edited for all skins. For example, the tigris-style skin has
it's own CSS, and I don't want to edit it to make it conform the the CSS
colors in the krysalis-site one.

So the skinconf colors are a *basic* set of colors, a profile that skins
can use (or can even disregad). If more infos are needed, then it's
necessary to have a CSS to be extended, but it will be skin specific.

>> c) autodownload of skins
>>
>> - status: DONE, needs testing
>
> I volunteer my skin as a first test, but I need the DTD customisations
> as well. Alternatively we could separate out one of the other skins, for
> example Krysalis (I believe you suggested this when commiting the
> original download code).

Let me see what I can do in these days about the DTD extensions, if you
look into the xmap stuff we can work parallely.

>> 3 - control configuration
>> ===========================
>>
>> The extra xslts download is part of the DTD extenstions. As for extra
>> sitemaps, I'm not ready to table it yet, but if someone wants to work
>> on it, Cocoon now has configurable insertions of subsitemaps.
>
> OK, perhaps this is the part of the customisation stuff I should look
> into. I can't really get deep into this for quite a while as I am away
> for a couple of weeks at the start of Jan so if someone else gets
> started before me that's cool. Otherwise I'll pick up mid to late January.

I will surely not work on it till then, and we need to release 0.6
before it, so it should be just fine.

Thanks, man :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -