forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Passing skinconf params to skins/name/** files
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:11:13 GMT

I have been thinking these days about how to pass skinconf information
to the skin files.

- xslts now use the document() function but need a faster way
   (and cacheable too) as I suspect that the file gets reparsed
- css need it to be able to get colors or other infos
   (in tigris-style project logos should be in the CSS)
- javascript like the previous breadcrumb.js one can need these values

What has been bugging me is that I wanted the system to be the same
across file types.

Then I went browsing through the last months of mail on forrest-dev, and
the "meta*" threads got me thinking... why don't we simply aggregate
skinconf.xml in the page feed?

Thus our page will be made of:

  current:
  - menu
  - tabs
  - page

  new:
  - skinconf
  - metadata (eventual and future)

This makes it easy to get values from the skinconf. To keep
compatibility we can simply add a final transformation that removes all
skinconf tags in the output.

In this way we get a fully cacheable output, and also a cached skinconf.

For CSS or JS, we can simply use skinconf as the source of the file, and
have the result created with an xsl:

  /css/mycss.xslt

where mycss.xslt transforms skinconf.xml to create mycss.css.

What do you think?

I will be now adding this support for the CSS as I need it to start
coloring the skins. In the meantime let's decide if it's ok also to add
this to the main aggregation.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -