forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] custom skin in multiple projects
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:57:11 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:
>>What you need to do to use it is explained briefly here:
>>
>>   http://xml.apache.org/forrest/skin-package.html
>
> I think this would be a good solution, but currently it requires the skin to be
> available from the forrest site.

Not really, only the reference to the skin, that is actually downloaded
elsewhere.

> I think we should allow different repositories
> to be specified.  The most useful would be a local repository.  At my company we
> would want to have a corporate repository hosted on our intranet.

Makes sense.

> I think this would best be configured in a properties file that applies to
> forrest in general, not a single project.  Perhaps any forrest.properties in
> $FORREST_HOME or $HOME would be used for default values not set in a project's
> forrest.properties.  Then a user could set
> forrest.skins-descriptors=/home/me/myskins/skins.xml,http://dev.intranet/skins/skins.xml

This is one way of doing it, by making your descriptor override the
Forrest one.

I was thinking of another solution, that is to be able to specify skins
with their download URL, but since I want to enhance the descriptor to
keep also DTDs and transformation extensions, making it possible to
override the descriptor location seems a good idea.

So I would make it possible to override it boh in the project
forrest.properties and in the installed forrest properties.

forrest.extensions.descriptors=/.../ext.xml,http://dev.intranet/skins.xml

             - verba volant, scripta manent -