forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: overriding part of a skin
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:53:54 GMT
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > For a while I've been overriding just document2html.xsl of krysalis-site.
> > Now I need to have the entire skin, and the "common" skin directory in my
> > project's source directory.  If I don't, I get errors like 'root'
> > variable not found, or 'pdflink' template not found.
>
> This only happens in CVS head version of Forrest and is due to the move
> to editing in src. And will only happen if you override skins rather
> than create a custom skin. I'm not sure it was ever intended that people
> override parts of skins. If it is/was then this is a backward
> compatability problem and should be addressed.

I don't know if that was intended, but it did work.  I think it's fine
to require whole custom skins.

> The problem is that skins are no longer copied over to the webapp
> directory. As a result if you use a custom skin it must be complete and
> common must also be present in your src directory. In the past if you
> had a skin in your src with the same name as a skin in forrest itself
> you could override portions of the skin.

I don't think we should require common to be present in the src directory.
Can the custom skins do something like:

<xsl:import
href="concat($forrest-skins-dir,'/common/xslt/html/document2html.xsl"/>

instead of:

<xsl:import href="../../../common/xslt/html/document2html.xsl"/>

> I'm not sure overriding parts of a skin is a good idea as this opens you
> to unexpected errors when the original skin is updated (this is why
> common is required in src for a custom skin that uses it).

Quite true; I have had a few problems requiring merges between
krysalis-site and my override.

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net