forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Re: Documentv20 --> XHTML
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:22:15 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

<snip/>

>> h is not equivalent to title
>> ----------------------------
>> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102914073227604&w=2)
>>
>> To summarise the discussion: it was suggested that we should consider
>> forcing h to be placed after section (as title currently is), it was
>> even suggested that this may happen in a later version of XHTML.
>> Having read the relevant secton of the XHTML recomendation this has
>> not happend I can say this has not happened.
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030506/mod-block-text.html#edef_block-text_h)

>> However, since it is I who brought up the problem with h replacing
>> title I feel that I can now say that my issues (they related to
>> numbering of sections) can be dealt with with a few changes of the
>> rendering stylesheets.
>

> In particular, what do you suggest we do? How would Forrest deal with:
>
>  <section>
>    text1
>    <h>blah</h>
>    tex2
>    <h>blah2</h>
>    text3
>  </section>
>
> What does it mean in XHTML2 to use the above (I still don't really get
> what it means for text1 to be before a heading)?

In XHTML the section element is used to indicate sections of text,
whilst the h element is used to indicate headings within that section.
It is a little confusing since I have been working with our
section/title for quite some time now and I am used to sections
indicating the numbering depth.

I am currently thinking of text1 in the above example as being a
preamble to the section. The argument in the working draft for being
able to do this is that you may want to indicate a section of text by,
for example, a border around the text, rather than by headings:

------------------------------
|  text 1                    |
|                            |
|  blah                      |
|  ----                      |
|  text 2                    |
|                            |
|  blah2                     |
|  text 3                    |

> In any case, since the <h> is a superset of our <title>, it should be no

> problem to implement.

Yes, it makes little sense with our DTD, but we don't *have* to use it.
Since we will keep the docuemnt DTD as a source format it shouldn't
affect any of the existing sites.

Ross