forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Re: Subtabs in CVS - comments and suggestions
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:17:19 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Johan Kok wrote:
>

>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>> Mainly because of rendering issues. Currently the skin only supports
>>> two levels, and I'm not sure how to allow more than one sublevel in
>>> an extensible manner. I'm afraid that if we enable it, most skins
>>> will be unable to render them, and furthermore... is it needed?
>>

>> Possibly, I was thinking of "abusing" it as a sort of hierachical
>> sitemap, in which one can use it say (and display) three or four
>> layers down.
>

> That's the role of the site.xml menu. A skin can render it as tabs, no
> need to show it on the left. A skin can even decide to render the first
> two levels as tabs and the rest as menu, or whatever.

It is the role of site.xml and when I originlly suggested this patch
Nicola ken suggested that we didn't need the tabs.xml file at all and we
could use the site.xml file for this. Looking at my double tabbed sites
I see that in fact they do correspond to the site.xml file.

However, it is a big job getting rid of tabs.xml since site.xml depends
on it. It is something in the back of my mind as I am already fed up of
maintaining two different files with the same data. Maybe one day I'll
make the changes (still allow tabs.xml to override of course), however,
I'm not holding my breath, so no-one else should ;-)

 From a rendering point of view. I am thinking that the second level of
tabs could become a drop down menu system (at least in my skin). This
would allow any level of nesting to be displayed. But again, I am not
planning on doing this any time soon.

Ross