forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Kok <j...@messianic.dyndns.org>
Subject Re: Subtabs in CVS - comments and suggestions
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:27:58 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Johan Kok wrote:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>

>>> 2 - Probably (and contrary to my original suggestion) the DTD is
>>> best like this
>>>
>>>      <tabs>
>>>       <tab>
>>>        <subtab>
>>>
>>> In fact ATM since a tab can contain a tab, I have to use (tab)*,
>>> which does not block nesting levels, while we want a single sublevel
>>>
>>> 3 - I'd thus change the style name of second level tabs to 'subtab'
>>

>> Why would you like to consciously limit the use of tab to three level
>> and introduce a hard subtab, and not just go for the block nesting
>> levels?
>

> Mainly because of rendering issues. Currently the skin only supports
> two levels, and I'm not sure how to allow more than one sublevel in an
> extensible manner. I'm afraid that if we enable it, most skins will be
> unable to render them, and furthermore... is it needed?

Possibly, I was thinking of "abusing" it as a sort of hierachical
sitemap, in which one can use it say (and display) three or four layers
down. The ideas was to show the first level, once something in the first
level was selected to bring up the next lower level, that could happend
recursively until the last level was reached. The number of levels can
vary on going down in different legs. Diplaying the selected tab's
infromation could be optional, which could make the navigation through
the layers pretty quick to the desired page. Take a book as an extreme
example (multiple books could also do) in which sections can go several
layers deep. The top tabs could even be the sections, with the next row
of tabs the chapters, and from there the various levels of indented. In
this example tabs could function as a TOC. The great part of it lies in
that anything that is hierarchically presentable could be used in the
tabs down to the last layer, be it multiple sites, multiple books,
manuals, or any other form of documentation, with quick visibility
navigation to the point of interest. One could also take the route of
(R)OLAP tools in displaying the various tab.

In a way it is similar to a menu tree used as tabs, in which the
currently exploded "sub"-tabs is visible.

JK