forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Documentv20 --> XHTML
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 16:12:18 GMT
I've been trawling the list regarding the proposed move to XHTML. Here's
what I discovered:

This has been brought up many times. Lots of resistence at first, but
gradually people have been voting +1 for it. It seems to me that the
only remaining concern is the incompatabilities between v1.x and v2.0.
However, these are relatively minor and can be resolved by making v1.x a
source format and converting to v2.0 dynamically. Of course, we could
also provide a conversion script to convert the source files if projects
deisre.

-----
Changes requried:

Nicola Ken listed the "equivalences" between XHTML2 and v1.1 (as it was
then) (see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102909917505608&w=2 for
the full thread):

   '-----------------'---------------------------------------'
   |  XHTML2 WD2     |       current document11 DTD          |
   '-----------------'---------------------------------------'
   XHTML  Structure Module

      html              document
      head              header
      title             title
      body              body

   XHTML Text Module

      abbr              * (requested by users via dictionary links)
      acronym           * [included in v1.2 - RDG]
      address           * (requested by users)
      blockquote        *
      cite              *
      br  (deprecated)  br
      code              code
      dfn               * (requested by users via dictionary links)
      div               footer, legal  (requested by skinners)
      em                em
      h                 title
      kbd               * (needed, currently we misuse "code" instead)
      line              br
      p                 p
      |                 fixme   (with class attribute)
      |                 note    (with class attribute)
      |                 warning (with class attribute)
      pre               source
      quote             *
      samp              * (needed, currently we misuse "source" instead)
      section           section
      span              *  (requested by skinners)
      strong            strong
      var               * (needed, currently we misuse "code" instead)

    XHTML Hypertext Module

      a                 link (already decided to reduce)
      |                 jump (already decided to reduce)
      |                 fork (already decided to reduce)
      |                 anchor

    XHTML List Module

      dl                dl
      dt                dt
      dd                dd
      nl                * (basically makes multilinks possible, very cool)
      name              * (part of nl spec)
      ol                ol
      ul                ul
      li                li

    XHTML Linking Module

      link element      book.xml

      Metainformation Module

       meta             abstract (never used)
       |                authors
       |                person
       |                subtitle (never used)
       |                type     (never used)
       |                version
       |                notice   (never used)

     XHTML Object Module

       object           img
       |                icon   (never used)
       |                figure (never used)

   XHTML Presentation Module

       hr               *
       sub              sub
       sup              sup

    XHTML Tables Module

      caption           caption
      table             table
      tbody             *
      td                td
      th                th
      thead             * (needed, currently misusing caption)
      tfoot             * (needed, currently misusing other tags)
      tr                tr

The subsequent discussion raised the following issues that didn't get
resolved, so I am rasing them again:

h is not equivalent to title
----------------------------
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102914073227604&w=2)

To summarise the discussion: it was suggested that we should consider
forcing h to be placed after section (as title currently is), it was
even suggested that this may happen in a later version of XHTML. Having
read the relevant secton of the XHTML recomendation this has not happend
I can say this has not happened.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030506/mod-block-text.html#edef_block-text_h)

However, since it is I who brought up the problem with h replacing title
I feel that I can now say that my issues (they related to numbering of
sections) can be dealt with with a few changes of the rendering stylesheets.

No equivalent to the author attribute for fixme
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102910704510385&w=2)

(wasn't discussed further)

Structural evaluation
---------------------

David Crossely said
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102939692406808&w=2):

"It looks to me like it is not only simple mapping
of tag names. Rather there are some structural changes
that are not yet fully decided nor described via schema/DTD."

This point was never adequately followed up but in the meantime the
XHTML schema has become much more stable. Is it time to have this
discussion? Or shall I just get on with it and see how it works out?

I do have over 700 pages of PDF docs generated by Forrest. I suspect I
can give this whole thing a pretty good testing if you want me to just
experiment and then report.

It'll take me a while though...

Ross