forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Re: Allow "role" attribute in document DTD
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:01:17 GMT
Marshall Roch wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> I recall a discussion about moving to XHTML as an intermediate
>> document format rather than the document DTD so the answer to this
>> question may be something bigger than I expect, but I'll take that
>> risk ;-)
>

> Having control over what elements my authors can use is one of the
> features I really like about Forrest, so maybe something like Docbook
> (Simplified?) instead, but (IMHO) certainly not all of XHTML.  But
> that's another thread, if people want to go there...

It's a discussion that has been had a few times. Plenty of stuff in the
archives.

>> This is because some sections get rendered by my skin in a slides
>> view, whilst others are rendered as normal. In a skin without
>> knowledge of these roles the slides get displayed as normal sections.
>

> Isn't that what the doctype declaration is for?  Create a Slide content
> type (with its own DTD that extends Document), so that it will be passed
> to a different XSL stylesheet.

Yes, I have been working with my own extended DTD for some time (or
rather I turned of validation and let myself do what I wanted). It is
time to tidy it up. I'm just trying to ascertain a) am I doing it right
or should I be doing something else (such as use class) and b) if I'm
doing it right should it be in the Forrest DTD or should I stick with my
own DTD.

Ross