forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Allow "role" attribute in document DTD
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 03:00:31 GMT
I recall a discussion about moving to XHTML as an intermediate document
format rather than the document DTD so the answer to this question may
be something bigger than I expect, but I'll take that risk ;-)

In my skin I have turned of validation so that I can add a role
attribute to sections. This is because some sections get rendered by my
skin in a slides view, whilst others are rendered as normal. In a skin
without knowledge of these roles the slides get displayed as normal
sections.

I also use the role attribute in links to denote glossary entries,
cross-references and citations (these get rendered as special links into
the relevant pages).

I think that a role attribute in many elements within the DTD would make
sense. I therefore propose that we add it to the Document v2.0a DTD.

Does anyone have a problem with this, or perhaps an alternative
suggestion on how to achieve my goal (XHTML as intermediate format)?

Ross