forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Re: Multiple tab.xml files
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:49:56 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> It has been intentional [only one set of tabs per site]. Tabs should never change during
navigation,
> it's confusing.
>
> What you may want instead are hierarchical tabs, as seen here:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/

OK I see the value in this.

> Instead of recreating a new file we can easily extend the current
> tabs.xml, and this *should* make it backward compatible:
>
> <tabs software="Forrest"
>     title="Apache Forrest"
>     copyright="2002-2003 The Apache Foundation"
>     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
>
>     <tab id="home" label="Home" dir="">
>       <tab id="a" label="A" dir="a"/>
>     </tab>
>     <tab id="community" label="Community" dir="community"/>
>     <tab id="howto" label="How-to" dir="community/howto">
>       <tab id="b" label="B" dir="b"/>
>     </tab>
>
>  </tabs>
>
> As long as we are able to filter //tab/tab elements, also old skins
> should work, and the new ones can use subtabs.

+1

> But let me add another question: are not tabs part of the site? Then why
> are they in a separate file?
>
> My idea was to have top-level nodes of site.xml be the tabs, and a skin
> could decide at which level switch from tabs to navigation. As some
> pointed out, tabs are not necessarily containers of pages, but links to
> pages. Hence they have to remain in a separate hierarchy. This does not
> mean though that they have to be in a separate file.
>
> The problem is that we already have a site.xml that needs tabs to be
> defined outside of the main element, so it would have to change. I would
> like to get this going later, as it's a big thing to do.

I see a couple of problems with this, but as you say it's a big thing
overall, so I'll keep them to myself for now.

> So for now making hierarchical tabs possible similarly to what we have
> now is a very good next step. (we'll have to add the functionality to
> our skins BTW)

I'll have a go at it ove rthe holidays when I'm board of writing
(happens alot :-)

I've also tidied up my code to make dynamic webapps work again, I'll
post a patch as soon as I get some decent bandwidth later today.

Ross