forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Re: Multiple tab.xml files
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:30:27 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I would like different tabs to appear in different directories on my
> site. For example, on the site home page I have tabs to each course
> offered, on a course page I have tabs to each module of a course.
>
> Is this currently possible. If not are there any problems with me
> allowing a local tabs.xml file to take precedence over the root one.
> Kind of like book.xml overriding the site.xml file.

I've been experimenting with this whilst waiting for objects. There is a
problem - you have to include a tabs.xml file in all subdirectories, not
very manageable. So I have another proposal.

If we have a tabGroups.xml file in the root folder, for example

<tabGroups ...>

   <group dir="">
     <tab label="Site Home" dir="" indexfile="index.html"/>
     <tab ... >
   </group>

   <group dir="courses/cocoon/">
     <tab label="Course Home" dir="courses/cocoon" indexfile="index.html"/>
     <tab label="Flow" dir="courses/cocoon/flow" indexfile="index.html"/>
   </group>

</tabGroups>

We can then use that to create a tabs.xml file by using a stylesheet
(similar to site.xml being transformed into book.xml.

If tabgroups.xml is absent then we revert to using tabs.xml so we have
backward compatability.

I almost have this working (just a problem with deciding which tabs to
show, at the moment everything below the current directory gets shown,
so with the above if we are in "courses/cocoon" we would get both tab
groups.

Is this a good addition to Forrest or shall I keep it within my own
customisation?>

Ross