forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Document last modified
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:20:07 GMT
Marshall Roch wrote:

> I finally got forrestbot2 working (so cool!), so I will probably set
> it up to rebuild the site every 6 to 12 hours.  This will mean that
> the last modified time in the HTTP headers and at the bottom of the
> HTML will always be within 6 hours.
>
> I'd like to have a <last-modified /> tag in the header of my xdocs (or
> something functionally equivalent), which could contain the CVS Date
> tag, or a manually-updated date for people not using CVS.  This should
> all be server-side so as to not rely on Javascript or the users'
> system's date.
>
> Another issue with constantly rebuilding the site is the Last-Modified
> header.  A lot of cache servers use something called "conditional
> GET," where they ask Apache whether the Last-Modified and ETag headers
> are still what they remember.  If they are different, the cache is
> updated.  The majority of my pages will not change much.  When the
> Last-Modified header changes all the time, the page does not stay
> cached for long periods of time.  This problem might relate to FOR-19.
>
> Hopefully this isn't /too/ hard to pull off... :)

I implemented some code in the CLI some time ago so that, as it builds a
site, it maintains checksums for each page in a checksum file, and only
writes the generated file back to disc if the file has changed (it still
has to generate it though). This way, the timestamps on files will
represent when the page actually last changed.

If this is useful, let me know and I'll dig out details.

Upayavira