forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: Document last modified
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:47:40 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:

<snip>

> 2.  Skins could put the current date into the page when forrest is run.
>
> In #1, the date corresponds the document content.  In #2, the date corresponds
> to the end result seen by the user (theoretically like the javascript does now).
>  #2 would be more direct to implement because it wouldn't require any changes to
> DTDs or documents that want to take advantage of this.

This is definitely better than requiring a Javascript, but it won't
solve the conditional GET problem.  The Last-Modified header needs to be
set to the date/time the xdoc was last touched, instead of the date/time
forrest was run, since forrest will run every few hours w/ forrestbot,
even though the pages aren't modified.

>>p.s. I'm shooting to launch my Forrest-powered redesign by Jan 1.  If
>>you want to check it out early, see
>>http://whs.winnacunnet.k12.nh.us:81/.  Browser tests/bug reports are
>>appreciated.
>
> Looks pretty nice.  Planning on making the skin available?  It's a nice one.

Thanks.  Forrest is great, so I wouldn't mind contributing the skin.
There is definitely some project-specific stuff in there (navigation is
a huge one), but that could be cleaned up.  Hopefully I will have some
time to do that over Christmas vacation.

--
Marshall Roch