forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <>
Subject Document last modified
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 03:03:11 GMT
I finally got forrestbot2 working (so cool!), so I will probably set it
up to rebuild the site every 6 to 12 hours.  This will mean that the
last modified time in the HTTP headers and at the bottom of the HTML
will always be within 6 hours.

I'd like to have a <last-modified /> tag in the header of my xdocs (or
something functionally equivalent), which could contain the CVS Date
tag, or a manually-updated date for people not using CVS.  This should
all be server-side so as to not rely on Javascript or the users'
system's date.

Another issue with constantly rebuilding the site is the Last-Modified
header.  A lot of cache servers use something called "conditional GET,"
where they ask Apache whether the Last-Modified and ETag headers are
still what they remember.  If they are different, the cache is updated.
  The majority of my pages will not change much.  When the Last-Modified
header changes all the time, the page does not stay cached for long
periods of time.  This problem might relate to FOR-19.

Hopefully this isn't /too/ hard to pull off... :)

Marshall Roch

p.s. I'm shooting to launch my Forrest-powered redesign by Jan 1.  If
you want to check it out early, see  Browser tests/bug reports are

View raw message