forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Re: overriding part of a skin
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:20:21 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> For a while I've been overriding just document2html.xsl of krysalis-site.
> Now I need to have the entire skin, and the "common" skin directory in my
> project's source directory.  If I don't, I get errors like 'root'
> variable not found, or 'pdflink' template not found.

This only happens in CVS head version of Forrest and is due to the move
to editing in src. And will only happen if you override skins rather
than create a custom skin. I'm not sure it was ever intended that people
override parts of skins. If it is/was then this is a backward
compatability problem and should be addressed.

The problem is that skins are no longer copied over to the webapp
directory. As a result if you use a custom skin it must be complete and
common must also be present in your src directory. In the past if you
had a skin in your src with the same name as a skin in forrest itself
you could override portions of the skin.

I'm not sure overriding parts of a skin is a good idea as this opens you
to unexpected errors when the original skin is updated (this is why
common is required in src for a custom skin that uses it).

Ross