forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Re: Calendaring (status update)
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 02:54:49 GMT
Johan Kok wrote:
> However the iCal and xCal options are likely to be able to proivde a
> solution. First cut in list format is perfect. One can always take
> that and filter and transform into whatever display format one would
> like to have.

It took a while to wrap my head around it, but I finally figured out how
to write grammars for Chaperon! :-)

The iCal spec allows programs to extend the format by adding their own
properties, and there are a ton of existing properties, so instead of
defining rules for each property, I have it directly translating iCal
properties to XML elements, which seems to work very well, even though
there can't be a DTD.

Chaperon's output is extremely messy, so I'm using an XSL stylesheet to
get the mapping of properties to elements right.  I think we should keep
this intermediate format instead of jumping straight to docv12, so that
it's easier to transform to a bunch of different outputs, but I don't
know how Forrest handles this.

How would I go about setting up a transformation like the following?

                             .-- list of events
iCal --> intermediate XML ----- monthly table
                             `-- RSS, some other format, etc.

I can throw the .grm and .xsl online if people want to see them.

--
Marshall Roch