forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@wkwyw.net>
Subject Enabling src editing *AND* deployable WARs
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:07:15 GMT
I have identified a solution to the problem of being unable to deploy
war files
(http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=FOR-89)

However, there is a problem with the solution on Windows platforms..

The cause of the bug is that xml documents and skin docs are looked for
in project.home. This works fine if you are using "forrest run".
However, doing a "forret war" and deploying the war file fails because
project.home is no longer there.

My solution is to generate symlinks in the build/webapp directory to the
project.home directory. The webapp ten looks in the webapp directory
where it should do. This works fine for "forrest run" and since the
symlinks are followed when generating the WAR file should also work fine
on deployed wars (although I have still to test this)

Great so far...but then the problem arises...

In order to create the symlinks I use the <symlink...> task of ANT 1.6
beta (the one included in Forrest). However, this task only works on
platforms where "ln -s" is a valid command. That is, it won't work on
Windows.(unless you have Cygwin)

I've looked over at the ANT lists and docs. It seems the problem is with
a limitation of Java's support of symbolic links. Consequently a native
call is made to "ln -s".

Does anyone know how to fix the SYMLINK task so it works for WIndows? (I
suppose I should be asking over on ANT, but I am not subscribed and
don't have the time to get involved over there).

Is anyone aware of another potential solution for this problem? I'm
willing to experiment with any suggestions.

In the meantime I'm happy to work with my Linux only solution - but
doubt it can go into CVS since it will break Windows users without
Cygwin - any thoughts on this?

Ross