forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Roch <marsh...@exclupen.com>
Subject Calendaring
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:05:25 GMT
I need to have a calendar of events on the site I'm building.  I'd also
like the people who maintain the calendar to also update the website.
They use Mozilla Calendar or Apple iCal, both of which can export
iCalendar files to the file system, FTP, or webdav.

iCalendar files are textual[1], so to use them in Forrest, some sort of
transformation to XML will be needed.  I'd love to be able to do the
whole thing in Forrest, but I have no idea how to transform non-XML
files.  There is an XML-ized version of iCalendar called xCal, and one
in RDF, so if the iCal file can be converted to either of those, I can
handle the rest in Forrest.

An option is to use a 3rd-party program like PHP iCalendar, which will
parse the iCalendar file per-request and generate an RSS feed, but I'd
really rather not do that.

If there is a way to do this, or anything else you can think of that
might get me started, please let me know.

--
Marshall Roch

[1] See http://www.apple.com/ical/library/ for a bunch of examples.