forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Allow "role" attribute in document DTD
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:36:12 GMT
On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 09:55:59AM -0400, Ross Gardler wrote:
[on @role]
> Now that you are forcing me into explaining the use case I am becoming
> more convinced that you are right and this is in fact a class.

<evil grin>

> Basically, I tag some parts as being "BSc", "MSc", "MBA" etc. Other
> parts are tagged as course focus, for example case studies have roles
> such as "ECommerce_Analysis" or "MBA_Anaysis". I then use these to
> select which part of the document should be displayed. So if I have an
> MBA student veiwing the page they get the "BSc" + "MBA" content of
> general pages and the "MBA_Analysis" of case studies.
>
> Since much of the content is shared I do not want to split it into
> different documents, so I use role to enable me to do that dynamcally.
>
> > Isn't that use-case
> > presentational?  If presentational, why not use class?
>
> I have to admit I'm a little unsure if this is presentational or not.

Sounds 'structural'.

> I think of presentation as being *how* it is displayed whereas much of
> my use for the role attribute is *what* is displayed (clearly I use
> Forrest in a dynamic environment).
>
> I have similar use cases with data from electronic sensor devices. The
> engineers get one lot of data, the management another etc.

This could be handled with an XSLT to include/exclude marked bits.  I
assume you've already done something like this.

For the marker attribute, couldn't 'class' still work for this?  Though
class is typically used for CSS, there's nothing to say it can't be used
for structural decisions.  A hook is a hook, no matter what you hang on
it.

--Jeff