forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Kurmanov <kurma...@openlib.org>
Subject Re: Allow "role" attribute in document DTD
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:22:12 GMT
I'm afraid of being out-of-context on this, but I'll just
leave my comments.  You decide if they are useful.

On 03-12-27, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Suppose, we have a tutorial on how to build a Forrest web site. This
> tutorial has a series of links. Some of which give extra detail about a
> topic by linking to different tutorials. Some gice glossary definitions,
> some define a trail through the training materials. Using role you can
> indicate all of these. Consider the following code:
>
> An XML document ready for display by Forrest conforms to <link
> href="xdocDTD" role="forrestTrailIntermediate glossary">Document v1.2
> DTD</link>, however, you need not write your documents in this format.
> By configuring your <link href="sitemap" role="forrestTrailAdvanced
> glossary">sitemap.xmap</link> accordingly and providing <link href="xsl"

> role="glossary">XSL</link> you can cause Forrest to convert any source
> format into the native XDoc format ready for display.

In my own XHTML-based document markup language, I use
<a> tags for links.  For links to other pages of the site I
use <a> tag with "ref" attribute, eg I'd write:

  An XML document ready for display by Forrest conforms to
  <a ref="xdocDTD"/>, however, you need not write your
  documents in this format.  ...

On the output this would turn into something like

  An XML document ready for display by Forrest conforms to
  v1.2 DTD</a>, however, you need not write your documents
  in this format.  ...

> Here, we have three links. All of them have a role of "glossary", one
> indicates it is part of the intermediate forrest trail, the other is
> advanced. A client application can now be built that extracts all
> glossary terms from a website (by retrieving the XDoc source), or it
> could build a single document for the each of the forrest trails etc.

If you want to extract all glossary terms from a website, it
might be better to have all the terms marked-up respectively
(as some kind of objects), then to extract that info from
links. ...may be something like:

  <term id='xdocDTD'>
    <name>Document v1.2 DTD</name>
    <description>New version of the DTD for
    documents... </description>
  </term>

Then, if you want, you can render all references to glossary
terms in some special way, no need to mark that up in every
occurence of it in the documents--but define a rendering
rule in match="a[@ref]" template.

Does that make any sense?

Kurmanov

http://www.ahinea.com/