forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hargreaves <supp...@pdh-online.info>
Subject Re: Allow "role" attribute in document DTD
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:36:01 GMT
On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 03:00, Ross Gardler wrote:
> I recall a discussion about moving to XHTML as an intermediate document
> format rather than the document DTD so the answer to this question may
> be something bigger than I expect, but I'll take that risk ;-)

There is also the possibility of using Docbook (or a tiny subset) as the
intermediate document format.

> In my skin I have turned of validation so that I can add a role
> attribute to sections. This is because some sections get rendered by my
> skin in a slides view, whilst others are rendered as normal. In a skin
> without knowledge of these roles the slides get displayed as normal
> sections.
>
> I also use the role attribute in links to denote glossary entries,
> cross-references and citations (these get rendered as special links into
> the relevant pages).

The following are the section attributes taken from Norman Walsh's
"DocBook: The Definitive Guide". Hope you find it relevant:

label

        Label specifies an identifying string for presentation purposes.

        Generally, an explicit Label attribute is used only if the
        processing system is incapable of generating the label
        automatically. If present, the Label is normative; it will used
        even if the processing system is capable of automatic labelling.

status

        Status identifies the editorial or publication status of the
        Section.

        Publication status might be used to control formatting (for
        example, printing a “draft” watermark on drafts) or processing
        (perhaps a document with a status of “final” should not include
        any components that are not final).
Peter