forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: repositories
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:32:54 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > In
> > http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=forrest-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=8929
> > you suggested a property called 'forrest.extensions.descriptors'.  Do we want
> > these descriptors to apply to more than just skins?  In light of the recent
> > discussion of skins, I am inclined to keep skins descriptors seperate from dtd
> > descriptors and any other descriptors we might have.
>
> Are we talking about the same thing here? As "descriptor" I mean the XML
> file that tells Forrest where to download extensions.

<snip/>
> I was thinking of changing it to:
>
> <forrest-extensions>
>    <extension type="skin"
>               name="testskin"
>               author="Nicola Ken Barozzi"
>               website="http://www.nicolaken.com"
>          url="http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestskins/">
>      <description>
>        Based on the standard forrest-site skin.
>        (Note: This is only a test skin, with trivial changes to
>         demonstrate the concept.)
>      </description>
>    </extension >
>    <extension type="dtd"
>               name="testdtd"
>               author="Nicola Ken Barozzi"
>               website="http://www.nicolaken.com"
>          url="http://www.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestdtds/">
>      <description>
>        Blah
>      </description>
>    </extension >
>
> ...etc
>
> Why should we have two different files?

I think that DTD descriptors would need more information.
There is no guarantee that all the bit-and-pieces are packed
together in one nice compressed archive. This is especially
the case for DTDs that we do not manage and cannot re-distribute.

I can see DTDs that have the main DTD at one URL and DTD modules
at another relative URL. Maybe they do not provide a catalog,
so it would need to come from a third-party site.

Perhaps we need to define the individual pieces separately in the
descriptor with a "from" and "to" and "type" etc. so that the
descriptor can tell Ant where to get and put the individual pieces.

--David