forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: [RT] custom skin in multiple projects
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:50:17 GMT
Quoting Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>:

> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
> > With my work on forrestbot and the current discussion of custom skins I
> > realized I will want to use one custom skin for many projects.  I don't
> > think it's fitting to put it in the Forrest package, nor to put it in all
> > the projects' src directories.
>
> I'd like to remove the possibility of using the src dir to add skins, as
> it does not favor reuse. That's why I added the auto download of skin
> packages.
>
> > I'd like to be able to have an external location (any specified directory)
> > that forrest will look for skins.  Is this a good idea?
>
> The fetch-skins system is done exactly for this task.
>
> What happens is that the skins are packaged in a zip, referenced in a
> descriptor on the forrest site and auto downloaded in the currently
> installed Forrest when needed.
>
> What you need to do to use it is explained briefly here:
>
>    http://xml.apache.org/forrest/skin-package.html

I think this would be a good solution, but currently it requires the skin to be
available from the forrest site.  I think we should allow different repositories
to be specified.  The most useful would be a local repository.  At my company we
would want to have a corporate repository hosted on our intranet.

I think this would best be configured in a properties file that applies to
forrest in general, not a single project.  Perhaps any forrest.properties in
$FORREST_HOME or $HOME would be used for default values not set in a project's
forrest.properties.  Then a user could set
forrest.skins-descriptors=/home/me/myskins/skins.xml,http://dev.intranet/skins/skins.xml

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net