forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: 'building forrest' documentation move?
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:35:24 GMT
Marshall Roch wrote:
> Dave Brondsema wrote:
> > The "Using Forrest" page describes the primary way of
> > getting forrest to be via CVS.
>
> You must've read my mind... I was just about to complain
> about this. :)

Poor choice of word Marshall. If one "complains" in Opensource
then one tends to be ignored. Better to suggest, even better to
contribute a fix.

> > Unless anyone objects, I'm going to move the "Getting the Forrest source"
> > and "Building and Installing Forrest" sections into the "Contributing" page.  I
> > will replace those sections with a short description of installing the latest
> > release.
>
> What is wrong with the Building and Installing Forrest section?  Aside
> from having a bunch of Ant lingo (targets) in there that you don't need
> to understand to use it, it seems pretty good to me.

Yes, i think that this section belongs either where it is or in a HowTo
but not in the Contributing page.

> Also, "Getting Started" or "Quick Start" might be a better name than
> "Using Forrest."  It details how to set everything up and create your
> first site, and "Using Forrest" really could include all of the other
> docs too.

I think that the intention of the "Using Forrest" document is to
provide a complete overview of Forrest. It should link to other
specific documents for more detail. Those other documents should
remind people to read the overview, as the content will generally
presume that knowledge as a base.

So far i am still happy with the name of the overview document.

--David