forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: 'building forrest' documentation move?
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:14:50 GMT
Dave Brondsema wrote:
> ...<snip/>Also, the "Getting the Forrest source" section
> references the obsolete "Forrest Primer" for specific
> CVS instructions.  I will take those out and move them into
> the "Contributing" page.

Excellent idea to clean those sections up.

When i joined Cocoon, i did the same thing - consolidated such
stuff into their Contributing page. When Forrest started, we took
the Cocoon page as a template. Unfortunately the "CVS Precis"
section from the Cocoon page was lost. Anyway, you might like to
look again at that page for ideas.

It is silly that we need to repeat such information. I wonder
if such guidelines should be put into various HowTo documents
in our Community section. If those documents were kept generic,
then they could apply to any project and just be directly linked.

There could be an additional benefit for projects that use Forrest
for their doc production - they would get ready-made HowTo documents.
The 'forrest seed' could perhaps copy them into place and customise
to add project-specific cvs commands.

I am glad that their are some people enthusiastic about the
documentation. All documentation needs continual evolution.

--David