forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: whole site i18n
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:02:55 GMT
Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Upa,
>

>> I did discuss with Cheche about making the CLI able to render
>> multiple versions of a page, one for each of a set of locales. It
>> shouldn't be too hard to do.
>

> We end up trying to simulate what the client was doing if this was a
> http client, so I took the impression that we need to implement with a
> browser and then with the CLI.
>
> Are we still thinking that right?

Not sure if I understand.

Basically, when working online, the User agent (browser) interacts with
Cocoon, giving it the current locale, etc.

With the CLI, the CLI is effectively the user agent, and needs to
simulate the activities of the browser.

So, if a browser can pass a locale to Cocoon, then the CLI needs to be
able to also.

At present, the CLI passes a default, unconfigurable locale to Cocoon.

Now, things are different with the CLI from an online scenario. Online,
we can hand exactly the page the user has requested, translated
correctly for their locale. With the CLI, we need to pregenerate all
locales for a page. So if we have 10 possible locales, we need to
regenerate that page 10 times.

This is not implemented in the CLI, but could be.

If any of you want to have a go, I'll happily give you pointers.

Regards, Upayavira