forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Change Bars
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:15:02 GMT
Erik Ackerman wrote:
>     I probably wouldn't do this with HTML directly.  In the HTML I would
> tag a <span> and do the formatting with CSS.  All the CSS would need
> would be a left-only border and a bit of margin between that border and
> the text.

Well, except for inline changes...

Generating change bars is, if done in full generality, is a *very hard*
problem (consider specifically tables and floats). Heck, even *expressing*
changed parts in XML can be quite uncomfortable because partitioning
the document in changed and unchanged parts doesn't necessarily match the
hierachical document structure. I usually see changes expressed as
singleton elements like
  text</p>
  text</p>
I vaguely remember this was discussed on the XSL list some years ago,
and some XSLT code which could deal with the case was published. It's
probably easier to ask again than to dig it out of the archive.

J.Pietschmann