forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Change Bars
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:29:53 GMT
Erik Ackerman wrote:
>     A "rip" is a different format of a document.  We (Forrest users)
> write things that conform to the document DTD, but we publish them in
> HTML and PDF formats.  The process of converting from one to the other
> is often referred to as a "rip."

FWIW, I believe "rip" is an acronym borrowed from the print/services
bureau sector, which stands for "Raster Image Processor". It's what a
Laser Printer does when it converts PostScript to output. EFI's Fiery
system is an example of a RIP device. I think its use when referring to
generating a web site (HTML or PDF) using Forrest is apropos--although I
think it would apply more to PDF generation than to HTML--however, I
like the use of the term for HTML as well!

Have a nice day!

Web Maestro Clay

p.s. It's also apropos that we're chatting about "RIP" today. It's
Veteran's Day here in the United States, where we honor all those lost
in war, and RIP is also an acronym for "Rest In Peace"...

---
"My religion is simple. My religion is kindness."
- His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet