forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hargreaves <...@totalise.co.uk>
Subject Re: Extending Document v1.2
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:10:13 GMT
On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 10:29, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Neil Tait wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > Has anyone made any attempts to extend the document v1.2 DTD? Forrest
> > seems ideal for a project of ours, but a bit light on the style vocabulary.

The problem I have experienced here is that I want to express more of
the structure of my content in a way that is relatively independent of
layout, presentation and the type of media.

For instance I want something like:
Instead of:

My style sheet will decide to put this into a header if the specific
media has such a thing. It might put it on the left, center or right.
Or, maybe it will put it in the footer. It's the business of my style
sheet where it goes. As long as it knows what it is.

My document structure doesn't know about pages, they are media specific.
If I have a chapter I don't care whether it ends up on pieces of paper,
or in a long scrollable browser window. The style writer might put my
<chapterinfo/> on a hover over the title he might not want to put it in
a header or footer.

So, let's think document structure - not media structure.

Peter.