forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "ycdtosa" <ycdt...@eupla.unizar.es>
Subject Re: Where is Docbook support going?
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:53:02 GMT
Hello, first post here... mind my poor English!

> From: "Juan Jose Pablos" <cheche@che-che.com>
> > David,
> >
> > I do not think that we need to remove that stuff, but if you feel that
> > it needs to be done, well, just ensure that Norm Walsh style sheets
> > offers the same funtionality.

Well, it may help others to find their way to custom docbook processing..
anyway nwalsh stylesheets DO offer the same functionality,
however, mention of the partial DocBook support as a feature
may disapoint many people with higher expectations about it.

> > David Crossley wrote:
> > > I just started removing mention of the partial DocBook support.
> > > Then i stopped because i was not sure that we had reached consensus
> > > on this. Nobody spoke up about it after the below email, so does
> > > that mean that nobody is interested in the partial support idea?
> > > --David

I think the stuff should stay (as an example) and the notes about the
partial
support should be rewritten so people dont feel fooled later.

and long ago he (david) also wrote:
> >>I think that we should dump that and concentrate on better
> >>documentation to describe how to configure full DocBook rendering.

Better doc is needed i agree on that too.

i hope so..
:-)

rite

IMO we should embrace the stylesheets from the DocBook.org's
i agree, we can not compete; those stylesheets are a beautiful work
and very modular.

work should be done on some css files to style/skin the output (on
xhtml/html/etc)

> >>the build. For that we need to provide DTDs (we do have some), or
> >>documentation about how to configure their own (we do have that), or
> >>a mechanism to download them if they are not on the user's system
> >>(we do have a proposal for that capability).
> >>
> >>The other aspect is rendering the DocBook documents. We have some
> >>documentation describing how to configure the full DocBook XSLTs.
> >>The problematic piece is the alternative (yet minimal)
> >>docbook2document.xsl which is not being enhanced or maintained.
> >>I think that we should dump that and concentrate on better
> >>documentation to describe how to configure full DocBook rendering.
> >>
> >>--David

On some other thread the option of "extending document v12 dtd"
its being discussed...

i want to point a fact here:
- Docbook is a very rich and powerful 'format'
- Document v12 (so does v20 as far as i know) is not that powerful as
docbook
and if u go from docbook to document you have to discard a lot of info in
the way

i did try to get some docbook document render with the dbk2doc aproach
and i got stock in the middle... there is no way to get a 'decent' support
without extending the document vx.x DTD... and then
    whats the point of extending it???
    we do have docbook.
    we do even have simplified docbook.!
    should we extend the document DTD in the Docbook direction?

I dont think thats the way to go.

PD.- one again sorry for my english.
and thanks!
--
ycdtosa - the present day composer refuses to die. (varese).
Ignacio Martinez