forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: in place editing of skins and sitemaps
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:02:29 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Now that we have inplace editing of content in the src directory the
> backcopy target has gone from forrest.build.xml, I like this removal of
> an extra stage in my editing/publishing cycle.
>
> However, it has introduced a problem. If I make changes to my skin I
> still need to do it in the build/webapp directory (at least I assume I
> do since they are stll there). I imagine the same approach can be used
> in the xmaps to make the skins editable in src (and if so I'll tackle it
> tomorrow unless someone beats me to it).

It should be easy to do. If you want to tackle it now (I was planning to
do it in the following days anyhow), look in resources.xmap. That's
where the skins are resolved.

All the skin info has to be resolved relative to the directory set in
cocoon.xconf. Look in cocoon.xcong and search for the skin dir property.
That is what you will have to use.

For an example of something already done, look in teh same file but in
the last section, where the project resources are resolved.

It's easier to do than to explain ;-)

> However, changes to xmaps need to be done in the build/webapp directory
> and I suspect that this will have to be the case. Anyone know otherwise?

Not necessarily. The only file that needs filtering is cocoon.xconf, and
that can be referenced outside. But then we have the libs, and those
should be callable from the classpath even for Jetty. Finally there is
the LocationMap that should solve the cocoon.xconf filtering.

Now you know my plans ;-)

All of the changes done till now were partial refactorings to get to
this point. If you can get the skin resolving in place, I'll try to take
care of the rest.

Ciao :-)

> If this is the case should we resurect backcopy for copying xmap
> alterations back into the src tree?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -