forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Validation includes and excludes
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:30:43 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 07:26:24PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>I mean, why do we sometimes need to exclude validation? site.xml ... it
>>should validate ok, as it has no DTD and so it should check that it's
>>only well-formed...
>
> <xmlvalidate> asserts that files are *valid*.  site.xml isn't, so it
> fails.

I read here: http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/xmlvalidate.html

  "This task checks xml files are valid (or only well formed)."

So I guessed that adding lenient would make it work in this case.
The problem is that the lenient attribute does not use simple
well-formdness as a fallback in case of missing DTD but as a normal
procedure.

IMHO patching this task to make it check only if it's well formed if
there is not DTD info would solve the problem.

>>I'd really like to make this simpler... maybe checking for .valignore
>>files as we have .cvsignore files? Maybe putting a meta tag or a comment
>>tag in the xml pages to prevent validation on them?
>>
>>Till I don't see the need of these excludes I fail to decide on the
>>solution... help!
>
> What's the problem?  Almost all .xml files in content/xdocs ought to
> validate, so having to exclude some files shouldn't be a major issue.

IIUC you mean that changing from the current multi-line validation
settings to a single exclude property should do it?

I tend to agree, what got me thinking was the fact that there are so
many in place now. I always use the one exclude line, but I'm just one user.

> The real problem seems to be that Cocoon has bugger-all validation
> capabilities.  Validation would ideally be done in the pipeline, with a
> <map:validate type="..."/> component.

Not really... Cocoon traverses the site, but I want to validate all xml
artifacts in a project and in Forrest that are not source files. Besides
validation a sdone now is *much* faster than anything done by Cocoon.

I'm just trying to do one step at a time and keep changes simple, so
IMHO keeping external validation but with new include/exclude rules is
what we need ATM.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -