forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject New Forrest CVS layout
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:09:46 GMT

After my first mail about removing the need to build forrest, many
things have changed in CVS, so I gather that it's better to ask here
before doing the last set of moves.

Basically what I want to do is to make the Forrest CVS look as similar
as possible to the final Forrest build distro.

My attention is in the src/** set of dirs.

Current:

  src/
    documentation/**
    java/**
    scratchpad/**
    resources/**

Proposal based on Jeff's last counterproposal:

  scratchpad/
    java/**
  src/
    default-forrest.properties (from forrest-shbat)
    forrest.antproxy.xml       (from forrest-shbat)
    forrest.build.xml          (from forrest-shbat)
    documentation/**
    java/**
    bin/** (from forrest-shbat)
    tasks/ (from forrest-shbat)
    var/   (from forrest-shbat)
    resources/**
    webapp/
     [make a webapp context using:
        src/resources/conf
        src/resources/convert
        src/resources/grammars
        src/resources/schema
        src/resources/skins
        src/resources/stylesheets
     ]
    forrestbar/**
    forrestbot2/**
    fresh-site/**

There is an alternative solution, that seems better and cleaner to me:

  - all extra stuff, with also the old layouts and charts, goes here  -
  etc/** (add stuff remaining in resources/**)

  - the scratchpad can hold anything, better to put it as src/  -
  scratchpad/
    java/**

  - the dirs in here are about global docs, and each Forrest codeline-
  src/
    documentation/**
    forrestbar/**
    forrestbot(2)/**
    forrest/
      - this resembles the main forrest distro except for the java/**
        that has to be compiled -
      default-forrest.properties (from forrest-shbat)
      forrest.antproxy.xml       (from forrest-shbat)
      forrest.build.xml          (from forrest-shbat)
      java/**
      bin/** (from forrest-shbat)
      tasks/ (from forrest-shbat)
      var/   (from forrest-shbat)
      webapp/
       [make a webapp context using:
          src/resources/conf
          src/resources/convert
          src/resources/grammars
          src/resources/schema
          src/resources/skins
          src/resources/stylesheets
       ]
      fresh-site/**

I would like to go with this second layout. Objections? Suggestions?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -