forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DTDs vs. Schemas
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:53:24 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Andrew Savory wrote:
>
>> I've been playing around with the Forrest DTD, and have hit upon the
>> limitation of having no W3 XML Schema for it. (I need namespaces, so DTDs
>> are no use to me.)
>>
>> Before I spend time converting the current DTDs to schemas, does anyone
>> already have some, and if so, could they commit them to CVS?
>
> You should take a look at the CyberNeko DTD converter:
>  http://www.apache.org/~andyc/neko/doc/index.html
> or Trang
>  http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html
>
> Neither is an install&go but still much simpler than to rewrite
> moderatly complex DTDs as WXS by hand.

We need to have at least two version, because DTDs are a bonus for
editors, and we need something else for multi-namespace validation.

What do you suggest we do? I thought that we shouold keep one version
hand-written and the other automatically converted. In this way we have
schemas for normal validation and automatically-generated DTDs for
editors and for people using single-namespace validation.

Suggestions?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -